Can You Eat Food That Has Mold On It If You Cut It Away?
Even though you feel like it is a waste of money to toss away an entire loaf of bread with some moldy parts or cheese, the best thing to do is just that in most cases. If you cut out the food’s moldy part, the remaining mold-free parts of the food aren’t entirely free of the fungus. Mold has roots that resemble threads, and they reach pretty deep into the food, which means these roots can take up the space of the entire loaf of bread or cheese, or berry.
If you are thinking about toasting moldy bread to kill off the mold, the toaster’s hot temperatures aren’t hot enough to kill off the fungus. Therefore, you will end up with charred bread if you wanted to expose it to the level of heat to kill the mold off.
However, there are a few exceptions in cutting away mold-free parts of food to make it salvageable. Hard and semi-soft cheese can be free of those roots if the cheese’s moldy piece is cut away. However, when it comes to soft cheeses, if it is moldy, then you will want to toss them away. Speaking of cheese, you may wonder why purposely moldy cheese is safe to eat.