What Makes Certain Types Of Mold Dangerous?
The mold you consume from bread or cheese or berries is not dangerous even though it is not good for you. The more hazardous types of molds will be found on nut and grain crops and not in your home. The most dangerous mold can harm your health as it can produce poisonous substances such as mycotoxins.
Mycotoxins can cause cancer and other serious health complications if you go near a substance that has a dangerous mold. Breathing the mycotoxins in will accumulate in your system, which if you do it just once, it won’t likely cause harm. However, if you make it a habit, then it can become problematic. That is why farmers and those who work with those crops often end up with fungal pneumonia as well.
Even though a piece of moldy food that you accidentally ate won’t hurt you in that way, you still don’t want to eat it too much. In the end, it can upset your digestive tract.